P.Oslo inv. 421
Background and Physical Properties
- 11 x 28 cm.
- Publication side:
- Recto, the Verso is blank
- Palaeographic description:
- State of preservation:
- The light brown papyrus is complete and regularly cut on all sides. There is no right margin, the top one is 2 cm., the left varies between 2 and 3 cm. The bottom margin is 6 cm.
- June 13, 34 A.D.
- Philadelphia, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Title / Type of text:
- Census return
- Declaration of the family of Tatybynchis
- Census Declaration Taxation Demography
- Named people:
- Tatybynchis, daughter of Mareis Eirenaios, laographos Maron, laographos Herakleides, laographos Herakleides, komogrammateus Ammonios, laographos Petesouchos, laographos Panetbeveis, son of Tatybynchis and Kephalon Patouantis, son of Ptollis Tiberius Caesar Augustus, emperor
- Named places:
- English translation:
- To Eirenaios and Maron and Herakleides and Ammonios and Petesouchos, laographoi, and to Herakleides, village clerk of Philadelphia, from Tatybynchis, daughter of Mareis, of the same village, with the guardian, my relative Patouamtis, son of Ptollis. In the present twentieth year of Tiberius Caesar Augustus I register my son Panetbeveis, son of Kephalon, who lives in my own house, my abovementioned son Panetbeveis, son of Kephalon, is 5 years old, and myself, Tatybynchis, daughter of Mareis, 35 years old, with a scar on my right thumb, together with the guardian, my relative Patouamtis, son of Ptollis, who is 36 years old and has a scar below his right brow. June 13 in the twentieth year of Tiberius Caesar Augustus.(Second hand) Registered in the twentieth year of Tiberius Caesar Augustus, June 13.(Third hand) I, Herakleides, village clerk, have noted it.
- Unknown place, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Acquired by Eitrem in Egypt in 1910. The papyrus was formerly P.Eitrem 1 in his private collection.
- Acquisition year:
Eitrem S, Philologus 71, 1912, 24
SB: I 5661▾ Corrections:
- Amundsen L, Chr.d'Eg. 7 (1932) 328 no.3Bagnall R, BASP 27 (1990) 13-14 (l.14)
Bagnall R-Frier BW, The demography of Roman Egypt (1994) 182-183
Record last modified 2021-02-09 23:53:26