P.Oslo II 21 (inv. 439)
Background and Physical Properties
- 9 x 27.5 cm.
- Publication side:
- Recto, the Verso is blank
- Palaeographic description:
- State of preservation:
- Light brown papyrus. Regularly cut at right side, the top margin is 2cm, the left 1 1/2 and the bottom one 5.5 cm.
- September 29, 71 A.D.
- Karanis, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Limnaios, son of Limnaios
- Title / Type of text:
- Petition to the centurion
- Petition to the centurion Lucius A(nnius?) from Limnaios, requesting the arrest of two thieves.
- Petition Arrest Olive Theft
- Named people:
- Lucius A(nnius?), centurio Limnaios, son of Limnaios, epitropos Doryphoros Apollonios, son of Abokis Aphrodisios Caesar Vespasianus Augustus, emperor
- Named places:
- English translation:
- To Lucius A(nnius?) ... ...... centurion, from Limnaios, son of Limnaios ... administrator of the Aphrodisian estate, secretary (in charge) of (the property) of Doryphoros. On the 1st day of Phaophi in the present 4th year of Imperator Caesar Vespasianus Augustus my men caught Apollonios son of Abokis, from Karanis, in the olive-yard of Aphrodisios together with another (person) picking olives earlier than the appointed season. Therefore I demand that he is brought to/arrested by you. I, Limnaios son of Limnaios and however else I may be styled have submitted the present petition, so that I can take action (?). In the 4th year of the Imperator Caesar Vespasianus Augustus, Phaophi 1.
- Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Purchased 1923 through British Museum, with M. Nahman as the dealer. Cf. the reports and the inventory list by H. I. Bell
- Acquisition year:
- Eitrem S-Amundsen L, P.Oslo II, 1931, 21
Preisendanz K, Phil. Wochenschr. 52 (1932) 231;Youtie HC, Class.Phil. 27 (1932) 88;Zucker F, Gnomon 9 (1933) 255Kelly B, Petitions, litigation, and social control in Roman Egypt, Oxford 2011. p. 80 n. 14, 214 n. 22, 271
Record last modified 2023-03-19 17:23:18