P.Oslo II 49 (inv. 448)
Background and Physical Properties
- 12.8 x 11.8 cm.
- Recto - 12;Verso - 2 (barely legible)
- Publication side:
- Recto; address on the Verso?
- Palaeographic description:
- The farewell-wish is written in a second handOn the verso, in a corner, there are traces of letters, rubbed off from another letter or document. Using a mirror one can read: Apollonio philt pleista:The Apollonios, mentioned in our letter, may just be the addressee
- State of preservation:
- IInd century A.D.
- Oxyrhynchite nome, province of Egypt
- Title / Type of text:
- Private letter
- Private letter from Serapion to Potamon, begging him to give information about the market situation in his district, as the one in the Oxyrhynchus area is getting worse every day.
- Letter Market
- Named people:
- Serapion Potamon Apollonios
- Named places:
- Oxyrhynchite nome
- English translation:
- Serapion to his dearest Potamon, greeting. Above all I think it is necessary to greet you through a letter. I urge you, dear, to write to me about the market in your district (?). For the market in the Oxyrhynchos district is less favourable, since ordinances of scrupulous officials arrive every day. I greet all your family and your master Apollonios, the exceptional friend.Farewell.
- Unknown place, province of Egypt
- Purchased 1923 through British Museum. Cf. the reports and the inventory list writen by H.I.Bell
- Acquisition year:
Eitrem S-Amundsen L, P.Oslo II, 1931, 49
- Preisendanz K, Philologische Wochenschrift 52 (1932) p. 232 (l. 7f.)Eitrem S-Amundsen L, P.Oslo III (1936) p. 276 (date)
Record last modified 2021-02-09 23:53:25