P.Oslo II 50 (inv. 324)
Background and Physical Properties
- 11 x 9.5 cm.
- 11: 10 (R), 1 (V)
- Publication side:
- Recto; Verso
- Palaeographic description:
- One hand. Semi cursive. The address on the verso is written along the fibers in the same hand than that of the recto in large letters. The last visible letters are somewhat faded. Black ink. Medium pen.
- State of preservation:
- Medium brown colour. Left and right edges neatly cut. Left margin at 1.5 cm, upper margin at 1. 5 cm. Line ends reach up to the right edge. The lower part of the sheet is torn. 5 vertical folding marks at regular intervals (ca. 2 cm.)
- Ist-IInd century CE
- Kom Aushim (ancient Karanis), Egypt?
- Title / Type of text:
- Private letter / Letter
- Private letter from Severus to Limnaios, complaining that the latter did not meet him when the former visited the capital of the Arsinoite nome.
- Letter Travel Complaint Friend Enemy
- Named people:
- Severus Limnaios
- Named places:
- Arsinoiton polis Alexandria
- English translation:
- Severus to the most esteemed Limnaios, greetings. I wish you to know that, being in the (capital) city of the Arsinoite, you got to know that I came (5) from Alexandria and did not come to visit me. I was not expecting such things from you. For I considered you a brother but (in this way?) I have got an enemy (...) (10). (Verso) Deliver at Karanis(?) ...
- Cairo or Fayûm, Egypt
- Purchased by Samson Eitrem
- Acquisition year:
- Eitrem, S and Amundsen, L., P.Oslo II, 1931, pp. 124-125 (no. 50)
- Arzt-Grabner, P. (2014). 2. Korinther. Papyrologische Kommentare zum Neuen Testament. Band 4. (p. 250). Göttingen. (German translation of ll. 3-10)
- Schmidt, W. F. K. (1932). Göttingische Gel. Anz., 194, p. 283. (cf. BL III, pp. 122-123) (ll. 2-10).
- Arzt-Grabner, P. (2014). 2. Korinther. Papyrologische Kommentare zum Neuen Testament. Band 4. (p. 250). Göttingen.
- Papathomas, A. (2016). Die Enttäuschung des belesenen Severus: Eine Anspielung auf Herodot I 44,2 im Brief P.Oslo II 50. Tyche, 31, pp. 235- 238.
Record last modified 2021-10-15 12:28:52